12-Year-Old Takes Action in Helping Animals and Fighting Abuse
Posted by Allie Reed on Nov 14th 2018
Leisl McCallum, 12 years old, is a rock star in the animal community. She's a compassionate and fierce animal rights activist constantly seeking out ways to help those without a voice. You can find her projects, initiatives, and stories on her Instagram account @abuse_ends_now.
Leisl was kind enough to answer a few questions for us, see interview below.
Leisl and donated blankets for a shelter
1) Please tell us about Abuse Ends Now. What do you think other people should know about this organization?
"Abuse Ends Now is an organization on Instagram that teaches kids and adults about how to be responsible with their pets and how to recognize abuse. It was inspired by my role model Erica, from the Pet Education Project."
2) Is there are particular moment or memory that sparked the idea for Abuse Ends Now?
"I remember talking to Erica for the first time and asking questions about her experience with animals. She told me she found a pup on the side of the road and took him in. She named him Joey. She has three dogs and two cats that are all rescues!"
3) What have you learned since you started Abuse Ends Now?
"Not everyone agrees. Some people tell me that dog fighting is okay, or they comment ‘cute’ or ‘aww’ because they want a follow.
I also learned that I have so many dedicated fans who are always supporting me and commenting awesome things!"
4) When you last (volunteered, made a donation, etc.), how did that make you feel?
"At the end of last summer, I held a raffle for the Pet Education Project. I raised over $600! I was so happy that I could help her and now she’s coming to Minnesota!"
5) When your friends and family find out about Abuse Ends Now, what do they say or ask?
"At first people are surprised because they don’t know that about me. Then they get excited and say they're proud of me. People are always surprised that I have so many followers!"
6) What might someone be surprised to know about you? What do you like to do when you aren't volunteering?
"I play a lot of sports. I play basketball, soccer, track, and volleyball! I love to play sports and stay active!"
7) Can you tell us about your favorite memory or experience so far with Abuse Ends Now?
"I think my favorite experience was definitely getting my first few comments ever. They were so positive and thankful!"
Donations Leisl Collected
It's amazing what this young girl is achieving with compassion, hard work, and dedication. She's an inspiration!
If you would like to get in touch with Leisl or donate to one of her causes, her email address is email@example.com. Or you can send her a direct message on Instagram @abuse_ends_now.